Why Study in Montreal?
Why Study in Montreal ?
Montréal is a multicultural, multilingual and vibrant city and is widely referred to as Canada’s ‘cultural capital’. It is also the largest city in Canada’s Quebec province. Hosting the finest Canadian universities, Montreal is a popular choice among students around the world. With four universities, seven other degree-awarding institutions, and 12 CEGEPs (general and vocational colleges, exclusive to Quebec’s education system) located within an 8 km radius, Montreal has the highest concentration of post-secondary students of all major cities in North America. Three of its universities are among the top 500 universities of the world which makes Montreal an ideal choice for someone who is looking for the highest standard of education and a place full of culture and spirited people.
Montreal holds the reputation of being one of the best cities for students in the world and hosts more than 30,000 international students (Montreal Gazette). It has been ranked 6th on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Top Student Cities List 2019, right after Berlin and before Paris.
Study in Montreal – Why Montreal as a Study Abroad Destination?
Of Greater Montreal’s 3.8 million residents, nearly 250,000 are college or university students—that’s more students per capita than any other North American city. Montreal is also a regular contender in the lists of the world’s best places to live and even the students seem to agree. Montreal is celebrated for its arts and culture, as well as the friendliness of its residents and the diversity. It’s also famous for its laid back yet lively lifestyle, attractive boulevards, thriving creative industries, café culture, its impressive arts venues, live performances and nightlife. Let’s look at a few facts which makes Montreal a great choice for international students –
• Number of universities ranked by QS in the top 100 – 3
• Highest-ranked institution – McGill University (35th in the world)
• Population – 3.8 million
• Average international fees (at ranked univ.) – CAD 16,098
• Desirability rank – 11th
• Employer Activity rank – 22nd
• Affordability rank – 68th
• Student View rank – 2nd
Study in Montreal – Student Life in Montreal
Montreal is the most populous municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec and the second-most populous municipality in Canada. With a mix of English and French, multiple ethnicities, food, entertainment, and much more, it offers an environment of comprehensive development to the students. It also hosts amazing concerts, games and beautiful nightlife. ‘Francofolies’, ‘Festival de jazz’, ‘Festival des nuits d’Afrique’, ‘Festival du rire’, ‘Montréal en lumièr’e and Street Art Festival are some of the famous annual highlights. Here are an overview on a few everyday aspects of the city:
• Accommodation – All the major universities in Montreal offer accommodation facilities to its students. The cost of the university-offered-accommodation is between CAD 400-700 monthly. Students can also opt for private accommodations as well which will cost approx. CAD 6500-7000 annually.
• Transportation – Montreal is the best city to walk in on a sunny day. For those who do not like to walk, a bicycle is also a good option. Montreal is officially the most bicycle-friendly place in North America, with 700 kilometres of bike paths. It also features a great, accessible and inexpensive public transit system. The Société de transport de Montréal (STM) provides discounts for students who want to use the clean, fast and safe buses and subways. Finally, for those living outside of the city centre, there’s the train! The AMT (a public transportation provider in Montreal which operates train lines) covers most of the places on or around the island of Montreal that the STM doesn’t cover.
• Healthcare – Healthcare system in Canada is administered differently in each province. In Quebec, it is run by the Regie de l’Assurance Maladie du Québec (RAMQ). Under the RAMQ, even expats can qualify for subsidised healthcare, provided they do not leave the province for more than 21 days at a time. In order to receive healthcare in Montreal, expats need to register with RAMQ and receive a medical insurance card which has a Social Insurance Number (SIN). There is then a three-month waiting period during which expats will need to pay for private health insurance. The exceptions to this are in cases of pregnancy, childbirth, victims of violence and patients with infectious diseases that are a danger to public health.
• Culture – Montreal is widely known for its 120 festivals and annual parades. There are also large concentrations of other ethnic groups such as Caribbeans, Africans, Arabs, Asians, Latino and Indians . All of these people coexist peacefully and give Montreal a unique culture, especially when it comes to tasting new food.
• Part-time jobs – Montreal is a well-employed city and finding a suitable part-time job is not difficult for students. The students need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to obtain a work permit. With a work permit, a student can work up to 20 hours per week during the semesters and full time during holidays.
Study in Montreal – Staying in Montreal after Studies
Montreal is an ideal place to stay in Canada once you have completed your studies. The simplest way to do so is to apply for a postgraduate work permit to CIC Canada. You will have to fill out the ‘IMM5710 form’, present your grades transcripts and a written confirmation of the acquisition of your degree. However, there are three important conditions to be kept into consideration:
1. If your program was less than 8 months, you aren’t eligible for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).
2. If your program was more than 8 months but less than 2 years, you can get a PGWP that’s valid for up to the same length as your study program. For example, if you completed a 9-month program, you will get a work permit for up to 9 months.
3. If your program was 2 years or more, you will get a PGWP that’s valid for 3 years.
Here are important immigration link for students quick reference.
If you are student and wish to apply through our agency you can register at below link .
Or if you are a recruitment agency you can register below.